Achiving High Gloss Finish on MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there

Just about to build a bed from MDF or HDF read a few forums and have picked up on treating all edges and that sanding between coats is a must however there is a lot of difference between each forum and I still have no idea which paints and primmers a hate painting and would rather use a can a think any advise would be great thanks .

Sponsored Links
Is it worth finding a local manufacturer who is able to foil wrap and apply gloss coating to your MDF?

I have had this done in the past for Bespoke bathroom furniture and the results look very good and suprisingly cheap.

I usually prime then apply at least 2 coats (colour dependent) of oil-based eggshell ..Only glossed a few though,a light sand between coats ..Brush or Roller (small sponge sleeve) ...Edges need 'rounding off'.. Spraying has to be the best option for a smooth glossy finish if you can manage it

Hi
Thanks for the replys intrested in the foil wrapping thing for a hommer am gny do for high gloss wardrobe dorrs but a think for what am goin to build it would b too much hassel to assemble and then to take it down and get it foil wrapped etc al go for primmer and an egg shell oil base a think ,anyone have any good names or places to get the best paints other than the obvious i.e bnq n delux ?just incase there are better ones out there a aint aware of thanks!!!!

Sponsored Links
For eggshell I use in order of preference, Leyland,Johnstones,Crown then Dulux, buy from a trade outlet , more pigment ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back