Move or Replace Hot Water Cylinder in a pressurised system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have Pressurised hot water cylinder requires moving from the airing cupboard and into the bathroom on the same floor.
It’s a Potterton Suprima boiler. Cylinder tank is Megaflo heatrae sadia. No cold water tanks involved. Only 6 years old.

Is there a boiler that can replace this and feed 3 ensuites / 1 bathroom / central heating / kitchen etc?

Otherwise how much would it cost to move the cylinder?

Sponsored Links
No combi can replace a megaflow in terms of performance and delivery.

Too many if's to price but £500.00 ++

what you need is a vented thermal store

loads of hot water and a buffer for the boiler

plus it wont explode
lol-045.gif

Sponsored Links
I should also point out that the reason to move the boiler is due to a 2 storey extension and loft conversion.

Currently we live in a 5 bed house. After the extension, we will require an extra 3/4 rads and 1 ensuite in the loft.

The airing cupboard is where the new stairs need to be and thus the cylinder would be moved into the new bathroom.

Obviously removing the cylinder and just changing the boiler would free that space and then we would only need to change the boiler if this would suffice the whole house??

oh this is really in the realms of d i y

get your hand in your pocket

if you can afford that little lot you can afford a decent installer :rolleyes:

that depends on your definition of a combi boiler ;)
http://www.glow-worm.co.uk/products/ultrapower_sxi.asp

Would it be fair to say you need an un-vented ticket to install them.

indeed you would, but its better than a UV cos it don't run out :D

First it is not a combi, it's a store, (sludge Bucket).

Secondly it hold at least half the hot water of an average size un-vented, and would certainly like to see it keep up with 4 x bathrooms, plus a kitchen and utility. ok not a problem if you program the occupants every 10 minutes between users. :rolleyes:

And I would think 28kw is pushing it tight for the heating as well.

that depends on your definition of a combi boiler ;)
http://www.glow-worm.co.uk/products/ultrapower_sxi.asp

Would it be fair to say you need an un-vented ticket to install them.

indeed you would, but its better than a UV cos it don't run out :D

First it is not a combi, it's a store, (sludge Bucket).

Secondly it hold at least half the hot water of an average size un-vented, and would certainly like to see it keep up with 4 x bathrooms, plus a kitchen and utility. ok not a problem if you program the occupants every 10 minutes between users. :rolleyes:

And I would think 28kw is pushing it tight for the heating as well.

Firstly its not a store its an unvented cylinder :rolleyes:
Secondly you clearly don't understand how it works. Have a think about it, and if you want I'll explain it to you. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure we can agree on this or not...

Can I do away with the Mega flo and replace it with a decent combi boiler or am I better sticking with it and moving it to the necessary location?

Cheers

There's a few options.

First you have a cylinder, and possibly the boiler, so moving would be the cheapest by far.

The glowworm boiler that mickyg linked to would maybe do, I'm not convinced, and it certainly wouldn't be my choice, and to replace one unvented cylinder for another unvented cylinder seems pointless.

A third option is to go combi for the kitchen/utility, and keep the cylinder for the bathrooms etc.

He has a poor, troublesome and expensive to run boiler.

What is the DHW flowrate of the unvented cylinder? 25 litres/minute? If so then the ATAG combi will do as will floor mounted Worcester-Bosch HighFlow 550. The 550 is a two stage DHW output combi. High flow until the heat is exhausted from the internal cylinder. It never runs out of DHW. Running on the burner only, it can one or two showers. He will also get cheaper gas bills as well as they are condensing models.

These high flowrate combis are not cheap, but very good, and saves space. He also saves the annual service of having an unvented cylinder as well, which over a 10 year period can cost £800-1000.

Stop talking rot George, we're not all DIYers.

All the high flow combi's are un-vented cylinders, and require the installer to hold a G3 ticket as well as his gas qualifications.

And I'll repeat my original statement.

No combi will serve 4 bathrooms plus kitchen, utility and more than likely a cloakroom as well.

Stop talking rot George, we're not all DIYers.

All the high flow combi's are un-vented cylinders, and require the installer to hold a G3 ticket as well as his gas qualifications.

And I'll repeat my original statement.

No combi will serve 4 bathrooms plus kitchen, utility and more than likely a cloakroom as well.

My God!!! The ATAG is an infinitely continuous combi with no stored water. The W-B 550 has a heat bank inside. Both can be DIYed.

He has one bathroom and 3 en-suites. Are all four going to be on at the same time? Even if they are staggered there is no waiting to reheat a cylinder.

Read what I wrote...
What is the DHW flowrate of the unvented cylinder? 25 litres/minute or less? If so then the ATAG combi will do as will the floor mounted Worcester-Bosch HighFlow 550. The 550 is a two stage DHW output combi. High flow until the heat is exhausted from the internal cylinder. It never runs out of DHW. Running on the burner only, it can do one or two showers. He will also get cheaper gas bills as well as they are condensing models.

If he only gets 24 litres./minute from the unvented, a 25 litre/minute combi will be better. No waiting for hot water and no s[pace taken or annual service for for the unvented cylinder.

An ATAG combi will deliver 1.500 litres of DHW an hour. The unvented cylinder? How big is it? 300 litres? If it is. And that taking up reheat time will deliver about 600 litres/hour, with a long wait between reheats.

The W-B 55 Highflow (41kW burner) gives 25 litres min for 5 mins then drops to approx 17 litres/min. So a 100 litre bath can be had immediately. The recovery rate is about 6 or 7 minutes. That is 1060 litres/min.

No contest in DHW delivery, the combi wins hands down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back