Bosch washing machine - won't stop draining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

My trusty (until now) Bosch WFG 2220 has developed the following fault:

1. At the start of the cycle, the machine takes on water as normal and starts to wash.
2. At the first drain, the pump starts and I can hear that all the water has drained away (the pump gives that empty noise).
3. The pump keeps going and going until eventually the pump stops and the 'End' light starts flashing.

I checked the filter etc and everything is clear (as I say, you can hear the water draining away).

Any ideas please? Is there a sensor that tells the machine that the drum is empty, before it starts loading water for the next part of the cycle?

Many thanks

Rusty

Sponsored Links
rinse valve open circuit or heater .need a meter to check

Thanks for the response Rocks1

It also does this on the rinse only cycle - ie drains before allowing in water, but just keeps on draining!

Does this help you narrow down the diagnosis?

I have a meter, could you point me in the direction of where I need to test?

if water is going in on rinse valve is ok ,just check the drain hose is not down too low syphoning ,with a meter check the heater found at the back should be 30 ish ohms .

Sponsored Links
I've measured the resistance of the heater - 26 ohms. Is this OK?

After doing this test, the machine seemed OK, but is now playing up even more. The drum gets really full of water during the wash cycles (ie nearly to the top of the door) and I'm still getting the wash cycle stopping mid-wash, accompanied by the 'Active' light flashing.

It may not be relevant, but if I open the door at this stage, the clothes are still warm, even though the machine stopped washing over an hour earlier - is it possible that the heating element is still on?

All very confusing so far!

heater ok ,but the presure chamber u blow down has not been put back air still getting into due to water getting up to the top of the drum.

Think I've found the problem - fingers crossed.

The feed point from the bottom of the drum to the pressure chamber was clogged to high heaven with 10 years of machine detergent gunk. As a result, no water was getting from the drum to the pressure chamber, so the pressure switch never triggered and the machine just kept on filling.

Running a 90 degree wash to try and give it a good flush.

Thanks for your help Rocks1.

I too have a Bosch and noticed it misbehaved a couple of times. Since then i give it an occasional rinse through with one of those cleaner products. Seems to have done the job, touch wood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back