Parquet adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, - for this my first post

I have 110m2 of solid 8mm Beech parquet (finger style) to lay on new chipboard flooring and I would like to be advised as to what's the correct adhesive to use.

Thanks from Yakka

Sponsored Links
What type of chipboard do you have? If it is the modern water repellent then you have a problem: adhesives won't bond with it.

Otherwise use normal parquet adhesive - Lecol5500 is a good one, not sure it is available in your area? - and a correct notched trowel

Heavens - that was an extremely quick reply! Thank you.

Yes, the chipboard is the new water resistant type. It thas been rained on heavily since it was installed.

Would giving it a good sanding before starting to lay parquet enable the adhesive to do its job?

(Thought it never rained 'down under' ;))

Never in favour of sanding chipboard. How thick is the chipboard? IMHO it would be better to install 6mm ply first on top of it - if you don't care to replace the chipboard - to get a better and stabler construction.

Sponsored Links
Never mind the rain - which we've had plenty of, we are contending with snow! :)

I'll have to check with the builder about the thickness of the chipboard and get back to you. I have an idea it might be 25/30mm.

Trust you are enjoying balmy autumnal weather.

Greetings and good morning WoodYouLike,

I believe the news is good!

Correction: the flooring is not the new water-resistant 'yellow tongue' but chip pine floor 'green tongue'. :D

The chip board is 20mm thick, screwed and glued, nailed on the perimeter only; laid on 300mm joists with centres spaced 450mm. A very stable floor with minimal spring.

Is the glue you mentioned earlier a goer for the job?

Thanks

..... Also the floor will have to be sanded as with all the rain before roof going on has caused curling at the joins.

If lecol 5500 suitable does one apply with eighth inch tooth trowel or v notch 3-4mm?

Thank you.

Sanding chipboard is never a nice job, so tread carefully with this.

You can use Lecol5500 and a fine teethed notched trowel (3-4mm)

Hello WoodYouLike

A local sander will prep the floor.

Lecol not available in NZ :cry: . After having been on the blower for most of yesterday I'll be going with a Selleys product - Low Foam Direct Stick.

Thanks for all your help and advice. Much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back