Please Help (Urgent) - Problem filling GCH system!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Please help, I'm new to this forum and haven't posted before.

I fitted a radiator in a new conservatory last week. The builders had left the pipe stubs for me so all I needed was to plumb the radiator.

I left the radiator with closed valves until today when I thought I'd have time to refill the system.

I've opened the radiator valves and water ran into the radiator (system was heating at the time).

After a while pressure went down and my Vaillant Ecotec Plus showed an F22 fault code which is low pressure.

I've diverted the cold supply to the filling loop and opened the stop-cock. Downstairs radiators are all full of water when I try to bleed them but the upstairs ones do not hiss when I open the bleed and nothing comes out.

I've tried a P0 & a P6 programme (Bleeding & filling test programmes). But I just can't seem to get any water or pressure into the central heating system.

What should I do - I've no heat or hot water and the kids all need a bath!

Thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
Yes I'm pretty sure - the diverter valve is set so that hot water will not run - i.e cold is diverted to the filling loop instead of the tap. I left the bathroom hot tap switched on so water can be switched between the two routes.

The tap at the other end of the filling loop is turned so that the closed label on the tap is not facing towards me.

However, I can't hear any water flowing and I haven't adjusted any of the other screw valves.

BTW - the pressure gauge is at zero - on the stop, digital readout says 0.3bar.

There is no hissing sound from the radiators when I open the bleed valves.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like no water is getting into the system.
You need to check that the filling loop is on and the valves are open.
There might be screws to turn too.

if you look under the boiler there are two grey (or they used to be grey) handles, they are either end of a braided hose, turn both on at the same time and you should hear the water flow.

Too weird for words - I took off the filling loop and no water was coming out so I blew down it and found it was blocked.

I poked a kebab skewer down the pipe and water ran out but no sign of what the blockage was.

I've now re-fitted the loop and the system seems to be filling - albeit slowly.

System now working - thank Christ.

The advice received certainly helped me to concentrate on the filling loop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back