Sentinel Magnetite System Filter Vs Magnaclean

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has used the Sentinel Magnetite System Filter and if it get rid of very small particles?

I am currently using the magnaclean, and it captures some of the dirt but the very small particulars get through and obviously get stuck in the heat exchanger.

Or do you think the fernox boiler buddy is better?

I looking for a filter which will remove particles as small as sand particles.

Look forward to your replies.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
A Magnaclean should remove particles much smaller than ones the size of sand, which as far as a particle in your heating system goes is actually very large. Having said that, it will only remove ferrous (iron/steel) based particles, and if you have a problem with non-ferrous particles then they will still get through.

what leads you to think the magnaclean is not working effectively? has your heat exchanger blocked up?

My heat exchanger has blocked up several times. I have even contacted magnaclean about this and sent them a sample of particles. I even sent them the magnaclean system to check it wasn't faulty.

They said it was nothing to do with their magnaclean. And that the particles were not fully magnetic therefore can't be captured by the magnaclean.

I personally believe that when water comes at such pressure it is very hard for the magnaclean to pick up the small magnetic pieces. The pieces are magnetic as i tested them with a magnet.

So this has led to look at alternatives. The y strainer is useless as it doesn't catch anything.

Sponsored Links
Errrm... If you have particles as large as grains of sand then the system hadn't been flushed very well at all. I find more and more folk who beliveve that the use of a magnetic filter negates the need to flush the system before fitting a new boiler

which chemical would you use for powerflush?

I have put the debris bits in fernox ds40 and ds3 as test samples. And nothing seems to happen to the bits.

I know with a powerflush the pressure of the water will throw out the rubbish.

A magnaclean is great to keep a system clean, not to clean it.
Lots of info on flushing in FAQ.
If your hex has blocked repeatedly, your system must be really full of crap.
For general debris, not magnetite, start with a mains flush as described by ChrisR.

I personally believe that when water comes at such pressure it is very hard for the magnaclean to pick up the small magnetic pieces.
If the Magnaclean is in the return just before the boiler, the pressure will be negligible. It is max at the pump outlet usually less than 0.3bar (4.5psi) and reduces until it is zero at the pump entry. The typical loss through a heat exchanger is about 0.15 bar (2.1psi). So the pressure at the magnaclean will be about 2.5psi.

Well as the it is on the return pipe. Then i guess i don't know why it doesn't pick up the small bits.

New magnaclean twintech looks pretty good. Does magnetic and non magnetic filtration. Haven't fitted one yet so can't comment too much just looks decent.

spirovent products are far better than any you have mentioned.

the magnaclean is garbage,looks garbage and best place for it, is with your garbage.

the sentinel filter is functionally as good if not better than the magnaclean but fits and looks a dam site better when insatalled.Plus it aint got a lid that always leaks.

Not fitted the twintech's cos the original magnacleans were carp so anything else from the designers will be just as carp.

lee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back