10 mm2 cable required

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi

I need to run a 10 m length of 10 mm2 cable to an electric hob/oven . I don't have any of that but do have 10 m of 6 mm2 and lots of 2.5 mm2.

Is there any technical reason why 1 x 6 mm2 and 2 x 2.5 mm2 could not be used to make up the required section required ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
B-a-s
I thank you for the good information you gave me on different light sources in another post.

You are right that my main motivation is financial. The 10 mm2 cable will cost me nearly pnds 3/lm and since I need 3 x 10 lm that's pnds 90 - a significant amount of money to me, especially if I have cable that may be acceptable and will otherwise just lie arouns uselessly.

Before you respond "look at the regs " NFC 15-100 doesn't tackle this as far as I see. It says 6 mm2 "conductors" ( not clear to me what that has to be ) for a hot-plate/oven but I want to install a sub-box which would translate as a "kitchen-box " which would supply all the requirements in the kitchen area. The book I am using for this just shows a diagram which labels the connection CU to the "kitchen-box" as 10 mm2.

Asking the regulator will take an age and so before investing the effort, I was asking, reasonably I thought, if there is a technical reason why this doesn't work and would still be keen to hear this if anyone will take the time to answer.

Sponsored Links
It's a reasonable question, but don't forget, it's likely to be difficult to make good quality joints in large, high current terminals.

The terminals at either end of the run will be designed to make good contact with 10 mil (we have to assume), it is probable that they won't be able to grip multiples of smaller cables all well and all at the same time.

I can see the desire to save some money, why not, if you have big quantities surplus of useful but smaller sizes, offer a trade to any sparks you might know, adding a few notes in beer money if needs be :D

Best of luck with the project, stay safe out there,

Colin

Back