Which trade to get into??

I am a builder and have been in the trade, non stop, since i left school - 27yrs+.

I learnt bricklaying first. Next plastering. Then carpentry.

I can build a large extension from start to finish using only outside trades such as an electrician and a heating engineer. If this appears boastful then i apologize.

What you should do is watch other tradesmen and learn from them. If they are good at what they do, then try and copy or improve upon their technique, if they are bad then learn what to avoid.

Sponsored Links
Great post there noseall.

The thought of doing a single trade for the rest of my life would bore me to tears so I agree, get involved in every trade (within reason) to keep you on your toes and give yourself a bit of variety....plus, like yourself, at least you get a finished product to admire.

thats why i like landscaping. always different, a bit of everything and the fresh air

Sponsored Links
Aldi are taking on, apparently they are paying 10 quid an hour stacking shelves. I was outside all last night in me sleepin bag, didn`t get an ounce of kip waiting for doors to open, beat the rush. Unfortunately by the time I got some kip, I`d slept through the whole day, when I woke up, they were shut again.

Aldi are taking on, apparently they are paying 10 quid an hour stacking shelves. I was outside all last night in me sleepin bag, didn`t get an ounce of kip waiting for doors to open, beat the rush. Unfortunately by the time I got some kip, I`d slept through the whole day, when I woke up, they were shut again.

Sleep is a priority to some people...

I'm a roofer and unless your nephew wants to work in wind , hail , rain and even sunshine occasionally i'd tell him to forget roofing !! Sure the money can be epic , it's very hard work , especially when your starting out as a labourer.

I'm a roofer and unless your nephew wants to work in wind , hail , rain and even sunshine occasionally i'd tell him to forget roofing !! Sure the money can be epic , it's very hard work , especially when your starting out as a labourer.

I will second this.

I build then tile the roof and it IS tough especially when you are cutting into an existing roof in the middle of winter.

Logistically there are a lot of people that simply could not cope as a roofer.

Ok thanks guys that's great. What would you say were the 'average' weekly earnings for these trades?

Ok thanks guys that's great. What would you say were the 'average' weekly earnings for these trades?

Not sure about other trades, but my starting labourers get £200 , £250 when they semi skilled and £300 skilled. That is based on a 40ish hour week.

Before recession £300 + VAT per day, during recession between £200 - £250 per day + VAT, after recession £100 per week, De Vatted :LOL:

Bathroom Fitter, Designer

Sponsored Links
Back