Liability for burst expansion vessel

and don't forget to send in your bill and include any extras

May pay to ask a few other tradesmen in the area to see if anyone else has been setup

Sponsored Links
I'd write to half a dozen manufacturers asking if it's possible to cause a pressure vessel to rupture by filling too quickly. Include the actual maker of course. They mostly use the same make of PV, made by Zilmet. I have read on another forum that one mfr treats the PV as a secondary safety device because they will leak if the PRV sticks shut, but that's another issue.
I really don't think it's your fault. It's a bit like leaving a light switched on. You could be asked to pay for the electricity you wasted, but if the bulb blew it's not down to you!
Legal bods will tell you that you are liable if the loss could have been
"reasonably expected by a knowledgeable person"
sort of thing. 99/100 would say "the prv would open".

Guys

The customer has since had a new boiler fitted by BG!!!! I'm to get the bill.

I've taken legal advice, he has sent the customer a letter asking for details of previous service information as well as stating the obvious - the boiler was 8 years old and parts quite commonly fail throughout a boiler's life. The letter also states that a repair should have cost between £200 and £400 pounds, not the £1500 BG suggested. Do you guys agree with this?

I've also been proactive and called BG to ask them to justify why they charge £1500 to repair an EV on a boiler. So far I've had no response.

Just a silly question.

how many rads are fitted including the new one.

and yes I agree with your action, so send him a counter claim for your work.

Sponsored Links
Can't say for sure but I think there would have been between 10 and 12, can I ask why?

watertight said:
Can't say for sure but I think there would have been between 10 and 12, can I ask why?

Expansion vessel may have been to small for the system, what boiler was it again

Boiler was an ICI Caldaie 80E, installed in '96.

The radiator I fitted was a replacement for one that was on another wall, I plumbed an additional radiator for them in a cloakroom (part of the same job), this had been fit prior to me arriving. Not sure if this additional information helps.

Mark

This guy is unbeleivable, he has had the boiler fitted before any settlement could be made, where is the old boiler, has it mysteriously disappeard and all the evidence with it, how many quotes did he get before proceeding with the new boiler or dont you get 3 quotes when you "think" someone else is paying, your solictor should be able to blow holes in all his claims, we have all told you it is nowhere near £1500.00 for a replacement EV, the other thing is if he didn't have BG poking there overpriced nose in and he was paying for an EV replacement himself and given the option of fitting one remote from the boiler cheaper then I am sure he would have found room then, the blokes a cuunt and any judge with a brain will see straight through him, only problem is most judges dont live in the real world so may be the stumbling block.

The more you read on and into this topic the more it appears to be a stitch up. Think they might play on the fact your not corgi. Did they know that prior to your starting work. PVM's right tho should have got at least 3 Quotes, or given you the opportunity to get someone in yourself.

Needless to say the customer is being ****.
Maybe an idea to contact the boiler /EV manufacturers to see if they have any stats on EV failures over period of time for example 50% fail after 9 years use.

Perhaps the professionals on here might have some crude stats, some thing along the line replaced 10 EVs last year, all were over 6 years old.

See if you can three/four written quote from independents as well a written quote from BG for EV replacement to back your case that it should cost between £200-£400 pounds.

Expansion vessel as supplied with the boiler is for a maximum system volume of 90 litres.

10-12 rads will easily exceed that

A safety valve which will automatically open at 3 bar to relief excess pressure in the central heating system.

http://www.icicaldaie.co.uk/manuals.asp

.......only problem is most judges dont live in the real world so may be the stumbling block.

I think you might be surprised otherwise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back