Gaps Under Slates - Should I fill with mortar ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I noticed that there are gaps under the slates right down at the eaves of my roof - see circled areas in attached photo.

I was thinking about filling these gaps with mortar to keep out the driving rain and to keep the rain away from the galvanised nails ( should I believe have been copper ?? ) as they are beginning to rust.
Would you recommend this ?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
On the pdf link, could the T strip type not be used? You'd need to cut away the flat 100mm bit that would normally go under the tiles as in diagram A, then screw the trim to the verge board through the 37mm long vertical leg. You would need to measure the thickness of the slate overhang, it looks like using the T strip type would allow for up to about an 85mm tile thickness.

Sponsored Links
It would, although its difficult to see know how successful it woud be as its a retrofit and there are some mighty small gaps to fill where the slates touch. Better than nothing though.

Err, well, a bit of a bodge to say the least, theoretically I suppose it would work although how would you be able to stop the foam from expanding underneath the slates and/or pushing the slates upwards or pushing the underlay downwards? You could always try to find a suitable pvc profile that you could use if the one in the link didn't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back