Roof Vents and Party Wall Act

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Can anyone give me a suggestion we are currently extending our property but we are having an issue with our neighbours extension which has air bricks from a flat roof that vent out into our area.

As we are looking to build up, our build will block the vents on our side which will leave the vents only the the opposite side of their property.

Are there any solutions, is the only way to leave a large gap between the properties.

Note. our house is a semi detached

Sponsored Links
If your neighbours are venting their property on your side of the boundary line I can't see what right they have to do this. Was their work done under building control?
As ever a diagram would help...

Is the outer face of your neighbours extension wall built on the boundary or over or inline it or behind it or what? Exact dimensions please.

Hi I thought a picture would show it the best, our neighbours extension wall is the boundary wall as far as I can see. The previous owners of our house built an conservatory against it which we have taken down to do our build you can still see the plaster on the wall at the moment. If you need any more pictures or drawns let me know.

I think I have up loaded the picture right let me know if you can't see it

Sponsored Links
The picture has not loaded, but it does not matter

If you are using the Party Wall Act, then as part of any award, you will have to deal with the venting situation of the adjoining owners roof. This may be complex to do, but whatever the solution you will have to do it and pay for it. Alternatively just set the wall back a bit

If you are not using the PWA, then you can build straight up keeping to the boundary line and it will be then up to the neighbour to sort out his vent arrangement.

You only really need to leave a small 10-15mm gap though and his roof will vent as it is

Thanks Woody

I am not sure we fall withing the PWA as we are building our own wall and will no longer be sharing a wall. Is my under standing correct that if we build and leave 10 -15 mm gap they can not object, we were going to offer to put lead flashing across the top of the two properties, to stop any water going between the two therefore avoid damp.

regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back