new electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody help with information replacing a 7.5kw shower unit, with a 9.5kw. Will the existing wiring be okay, or will it need to replaced.

Sponsored Links
monte86 said:
Anybody help with information replacing a 7.5kw shower unit, with a 9.5kw. Will the existing wiring be okay, or will it need to replaced.

how longs a piece of sting?

Sponsored Links
Monte - the fact that you asked means that you have at least an inkling that the size of cable you need depends on the load, so don't you think that information on what cable you have now is essential?

monte86 said:
Not what I asked, obviously you don't know.

Breezer answered your question. Unless you can tell us what size cable you have and how it is installed (which can drastically affect its nominal current-carrying capacity) it is not possible to give advice as to whether it is big enough.

monte86 said:

some showers require 6mm cable, some require 10. some require a 40A MCB. some require 45 or 50A. unless you tell us what you have then we cant help you

and yes we dont kno if your wirin will be ok for the new shower. we dont kno what you already have.

I think so, Ban.

HTF he can expect us to know across the ether whether his install is up to being subjected to an unspecified shower is anyone's bl**dy guess...

monte86 wrote:

is such an incredible remark: he asked if he could replace one shower with another of greater rating. He was told this was dependent on cable size, amongst other issues.

OK, Mr Monte, What did you ask?

People on this forum are very helpful and knowlegeable, BUT we do need to know the facts.

You know, it's like talking to a mechanic down the phone, telling him you have a car, and will it pass it's MOT?

IF you are prepared to give us the information we require to assist you, you may get an answer. Assuming you have not p*ssed others off as much as you have me.

I am not an electrician, obviously all you guys are and understand the workings of the system. If you ask me something about my job, I could also make you look a pratt, no problem. May I also add that I will not be doing this job myself, I will be employing a professional gentleman to do it for me. The reason for my question was, my wife purchased a new shower from Homebase and the rating of the unit is 9.5kw, different to what we have at the moment. She needs to return it within 28 days to exchange or refund. Homebase told her it should be okay, I am not so sure. The wiring installed is compatable with a 7.5kw shower, and is buried under floorboards and in walls and very difficult to get at, hence the original question, can it just be replaced without changing the wiring. I think my best bet would be to get the advise of a qualified person. Thanks for you help and comments.

monte86 said:
I am not an electrician, obviously all you guys are and understand the workings of the system. If you ask me something about my job, I could also make you look a pratt, no problem.
We're not trying to make you look like a pratt - but nobody here had any chance of answering your question because you were completely unable to provide an absolutely vital piece of information - namely the size of your existing cable. Did you really expect that your question could be answered without knowing that? If so, one might observe that we had no need to try and make you look like a pratt...

May I also add that I will not be doing this job myself, I will be employing a professional gentleman to do it for me. The reason for my question was, my wife purchased a new shower from Homebase and the rating of the unit is 9.5kw, different to what we have at the moment. She needs to return it within 28 days to exchange or refund.
Take it back - you can always buy again once you know what load your cable can take.

Homebase told her it should be okay, I am not so sure.
Sensible - they have no way of knowing either.

The wiring installed is compatable with a 7.5kw shower, and is buried under floorboards and in walls and very difficult to get at, hence the original question, can it just be replaced without changing the wiring.
We don't know. Nobody in the world can know without you telling them, or them looking to see, what the current cable is.

I think my best bet would be to get the advise of a qualified person.
I think so too, but as a favour, please try the following: Phone a few "qualified persons" and ask them to give you an answer over the phone. If they ask what the existing cable is say you don't know, and if they say that they need to come and look tell them that you want them to answer the question without doing that.

Maybe then you'll realise that we were not messing you about.

Already done that. I was asked how long I have had the shower, what type of fuse, I had in the fuse box etc. I was informed that would have at leased a 6mm cable running from the fuse box to the shower using a 7.5kw unit using a 40amp fuse. To use the 9.5kw unit I would need to use the regulation 10mm cable, or I could drop the fuse to 32amp to protect the wiring, but the shower may cut out if used for a long periods. I think I would be safer to take the shower back for a refund, as everybody I ask has a different answer. Thanks anyway for your help.

monte86 said:
Already done that. I was asked how long I have had the shower, what type of fuse, I had in the fuse box etc. I was informed that would have at leased a 6mm cable running from the fuse box to the shower using a 7.5kw unit using a 40amp fuse. To use the 9.5kw unit I would need to use the regulation 10mm cable, or I could drop the fuse to 32amp to protect the wiring, but the shower may cut out if used for a long periods. I think I would be safer to take the shower back for a refund, as everybody I ask has a different answer. Thanks anyway for your help.

we could have told u that, if only u had actually provided us with the info u told the person on the phone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back