Kitchen wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to add an additional lighting circuit as I going to add 400 watt of lighting to my kitchen. This would take the existing circuit over 1200 watt. I do not have access to the void from above and so I am going to drop the ceiling and wire in the new void. Does anyone know the minimum void required under regulation? I was considering one and three quarter inch battens ie 1.75 void. Would I need to protect the cabling in any way?

Sponsored Links
I did this in my flat last year, same problem with access to voids. The only thing in the regs is that the lights must be far enough away from combustible materials. I was adding downlighter, so I had to use forward reflective ones which send the heat in the direction of the light (away from the void). My void was 3 inches deep, but this was more so the light fittings would work. I don't believe that you need to protect the cabling, just make sensible runs, but I'm not a professional electrician so might want to check.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back