Vaillant Ecomax Pro sytem boiler fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler is about 4 years old and has always worked well. Recently it has developed a fault. It starts ok, and then after a couple of minutes it shuts down with error code F1. If I switch it off for a couple of mins, it can be started again, but shuts down again after about 20 secs. I removed the inner cover to check the burner window and found that it runs perfectly in this state without any sign of shutting down. I removed the end of the flue (outside), but there's no sign of any blockage. Can anybody make a suggestion where to look next. There's no sign of any leaking from the combustion chamber seal.

Sponsored Links
time to get someone in to look at it. You've already surpassed the realms of DIY.

Its igniting ok. Its been running for 5 hours now, but as soon as I put the cover on, it shuts down.

Sponsored Links
bad seal on the flue its spilling gasses back into the air intake of the flue which cannot be burnt causing flame to extinguish, you removing the cover is allowing fresh air into the boiler to be burnt hence it running and you probably allowing carbon monoxide to enter the room

Sorted now. Vaillant have issued a bulletin on the faulty burner seal made of an unsuitable material. Mine was just starting to leak, which caused carbon deposits on the HT lead to the spark plug. When the cover was on, the spark was jumping to it instead of going through the spark plug. It only did it when warm - perhaps the cover (or burner) moved closer when warm. The boiler now has new burner seals and HT lead and works fine. Thanks for your suggestions
dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back