Replacing stop cock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
The stopcock for the mains won't completely turn the water flow off even when it has been turned round as far as it will go (to the right). It is connected to a lead pipe of which about 5 inches protrudes from the concrete floor. Is their any possible remedies without replacing the whole unit. It is a gate valve (I think) with a red spindley wheel.
What would be the average cost if I have to get a plumber in?? :?:

Sponsored Links
There should be a shut off tap outside your house somewhere, you should see a small grid you can lift up and the tap will be down there. The hole is probably full of soil so you will have to dig the soil out. Once the water is off, you can then repair the tap inside the house. :) :)

Hope this helps

If you are saying you have a lead pipe connect to your stop cock inside your house .then you should inform the local water board the lead pipe should be replaced .As i understand it this should be done at no cost to you.....they will supply a new mdpe type pipe blue plastic at there end stop cock in the street ? and you will need to buy the fitting at your end .....

might be woth a phone call before buying the fitting ,connecting to lead pipes is an art .

Thanks for that guys. Is the old lead pipe dangerous?
:?:

Sponsored Links
anto said:
Thanks for that guys. Is the old lead pipe dangerous?

Not really dangerous but small amounts of lead will be in your drinking supply and won't do you much good. :(
If you can replace it, all well and good as lead pipe is now banned from use :D

anto said:
Is the old lead pipe dangerous?
When I replaced my lead pipe the internal was line with scaled so a bit of protection there. It's best to flush the drinking water if it has not been use for a while such as overnight or a few hours. If you are worried you take a sample for lead testing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back