Lead V's Felt, V's Fibre Glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thoughts ??

We're haveing a small flat roof area covered between the house and pitched extension.

We'd hoped to have lead but the cost is ever increasing.

the builder has recommeded felt, but we're not keen.

has anyone use Fibre glass roofing ?

Any thoughts on which would be best and cost and instalation?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I'd recommend zinc as it will have the appearance of lead but will cost less and las longer than anything else.

Sponsored Links
Why should felt be banned?

It is adequate and relatively inexpensive.

Done correct it will last 20+ years.

I personally don't like flat roof's and discourage them. I have seen failures of ALL roofing solutions, particularly those done badly.

Incidentally i am not a felter.:cool:

Lead cost 5 times that of felt but does not last 5 times as long.

agreed modern torch on felt is fine if fitted correctly with care.My main dislike is naked flame! fires do happen.

Lead is great if fitted correctly with care bit more expensive though.

And GRP looks good (or should) not to expensive I do believe failures do happen.
Personally I probably go for a good felt.

Felt isn't good enough for my shed roof! It doesn't last half as long as you'd expect it to.
As for lead............it will most definately be banned from use in the near future due to environmental factors, it is simply a toxic material.
That is why we are promoting hard metals as the only alternative. Copper and zinc have been around for thousands of years and aren't harmful to the environment and when the roof comes to the end of its life (100years+) you can sell it for scrap which in turn is recyled to create new material.
How many times would you replace a felt roof over 160 years?
Can you recycle the old material?

Let me ask you this question?

If you were asked to spec the best roofing material money can buy, what material would you choose?

Surely the answer is copper..................

Copper? lead? The *****'s love it. GRP will do just as well.

Hardmetal, you are missing the point. A large number of flat roofs are removed and upgraded long before the actual covering has perished. This is due to insulation or renovation projects.

Spending trillions on a roof covering that may have to be ripped off in the near future is bonkers.

Couple that with the fact that people move on to other properties, then your idea seems more ridiculous by the second.

In an ideal world then maybe all roofs were copper, only if you like looking out onto a dull green roof that is.

I don't get your point..........

it doesn't cost trillions and why would they need to rip it off int he near future? Because the roof is hand made it is very easy to add to with very little disruption. Also when you come to sell the property surely the new owner would be pleased to know the roof won't need replacing for 100 years?

My train of thought is that when you buy anything you buy the best you can afford. No?

Not everyone can afford copper but most of us could afford zinc. And it's worthless to thieving scum, so won't be ripped off.

Speak to an unbiased architect and they will tell you the true benefits and why if given the choice between GRP and hard metals what they would choose.
I have worked on the majority of universities, hospitals, museums and schools all over the country, these are specced by top architects.

My point is.......get a quote for zinc, you may be surprised, it won't hurt or cost anything then make your decision.

More permanent solutions are good for universities, schools, hospitals, public buildings etc, but not for the domestic market.

The private housing market is too dynamic to warrant such a permanent fabric.

Speak to an unbiased architect and they will tell you the true benefits and why if given the choice between GRP and hard metals what they would choose.
No one is doubting the long term benefits but When alls said and done, in reality clients do not want to pay.

I have worked on the majority of universities, hospitals, museums and schools all over the country, these are specced by top architects.

no one would doubt that its important that public buildings do last, however a bloke fixing up his house is not in any way comparable.

Are you seriously suggesting that a zinc valley is comparable in cost to GRP or felt? Ignoring the irrelevant issue that it may last 100 years.

best thing i think is to see a sample or grp roof,its the best domestic solution, in terms of life span costs and toughness and can easily be repaired with miniuim fuss,like all work done the installers are going to be an important part of the job as any good product can be installed badly no matter what you go for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back