Lead V's Felt, V's Fibre Glass

Hi. Having been in the plumbing trade since leaving school and dealing in lead work primarily for a large proportion of the time. (zinc and copper also, but not to the same extent) I find it depressing to read some of the posts. Surly went building or extending a property. (domestic) A budget is designed prior to construction, to accommodate the build. Which becomes an asset moving on to become a legacy. Longevity is the key to both, if materials and unproven methods are employed, dreams and financial collapse are imminent. I have witnessed a block of flats, where an all singing all dancing material was used to cover a large flat roof, failed after 15 years. The legal costs, hardship and renovating costs placed upon the 14 lease holders was massive. I am sure this is mirrored through out the UK. If traditional methods, not the get rich quick type were used, the problem would not exist. Fir coat no knickers is an observation not an instruction.

Sponsored Links
Everyone has made valid points however I'm trying to educate everyone with standing seam roofing being a viable alternative.

I recently priced a 3m x 3m extension roof with zinc, the alternative was saranfil. I came in 30% cheaper than the sarnafil roof so the client went with zinc. Like you all say it's pounds and pence that make the real difference.

I bet a zinc valley wouldn't be too far away in price from grp or felt............maybe even cheaper.

If the price of copper fell and it became cheaper to use than felt would you still decide not to use it because it's too dynamic?

:confused: I didn't think zinc was very durable

How long does it last?

Sponsored Links
I recently priced a 3m x 3m extension roof with zinc, the alternative was saranfil. I came in 30% cheaper than the sarnafil roof so the client went with zinc. Like you all say it's pounds and pence that make the real difference.
No one has suggested it's not competitive with single ply, how does it compare to felt though? Likewise no one is doubting the attractiveness of metal roofs only the cost of within the domestic market.

it's horses for courses but all i'm suggesting is the client get as many quotes for different materials as possible and then make the choice that's right for them.

The domestic market is evolving and when people spend their hard earned money they want confidence in what they choose, I merely want to provide the information that there is another alternative on the market.

I'm booked up until Christmas with domestic zinc jobs, I'm do not want to convince anyone, I just want to give them the choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back