minimum width of partition wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i want to turn 1 room into 2 and keep as much space as possible. whats the thinnest i can have the partition wall? noise insulation isnt an issue, does that mean i can have it thinner than 'normal'?

thanks

Sponsored Links
the amount you can save is so miniscule like about 12mm per room that will then stop you hanging things from the walls as they are now too thin

better planning like beds raised up to allow storage underneath
or the use off cupboard/wardrobs side by side but open to opposit rooms to form the walls /partitions
i am assuming you have a window and entrace door to share!!!

have you got a drawing or sketch so i can advise!!

Despite what people will tell you on here, you can construct a partition wall with 25mm battens and 12mm plasterboard each side. I know this for a fact as the house I live in has these walls. Provided you don't want to hang shelves or a big Flat screen off them that is. A picture or a clock won't fall off the wall though. Realistically though, you're only going to lose 50mm if you use 75mm studs which will be more than adequate.

Sponsored Links
63 x 38 CLS used "sideways" and 12.5mm boards and 3mm skim - so thats 69mm thick - and its solid

You could use [lots of] 25mm battens, but I'd be concerned as to how straight they are and fixing to them, and it may be time consuming to actually build and mess about with

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back