Outdoor boiler and carbon monoxide levels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping someone can help.

My boiler is situated outside at the back of the house in an enclosure. Today had a guy come round to do the gas safety checks (he is gas safe registered). When inspecting the boiler he said there were high levels of carbon monoxide being emitted from the boiler/flu.

This is obviously is dangerous and he said it would cost 300-400 pounds to "clean and repair the boiler". He has given a warning/advice notice and stuck a label on the boiler saying it is unsafe for use. The boiler is an old style potterton tatler floor standing one which has always worked flawlessly.

My questions are these:
1) If the boiler is outside the home completely are cabon monoxide levels still an issue?
2) He is recommending the boiler be replaced as it will be expensive to repair. If nothing is wrong with the boiler as such then I assume his idea of repairing is essentially a boiler service which would hopefully bring the CO2 levels to an acceptable level. Would a general service boiler do the trick and should he be charging £300-400 for this?

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

TD

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if the boiler may have sooted up. It is dangerous and he has done right to isolate it. The price however seems a bit steep. Most sooted floor standers will require 1-3 hours of dirty hard work depending on condition, so £180 max I'd say.

A service should solve this problem as it should be stripped and cleaned. His price seems a bit much though

Thanks for confirming that. Just what I thought. He nearly convinced me that the boiler needed replacing for around £2,000+ but sounds like a thorough service should do the job. £150-£200 is about what I was expecting to pay so thanks for confirming that.

Now it sounds like I need to find a different gas engineer who is willing to get his hands a bit dirty and do the job. Wish me luck in finding someone reliable (that is the hard part)!

Micky, out of curiosity is the acceptable CO2 level the same regardless of whether the appliance is inside or outside of the home?

It sounds as if the boiler may have sooted up. It is dangerous and he has done right to isolate it. The price however seems a bit steep. Most sooted floor standers will require 1-3 hours of dirty hard work depending on condition, so £180 max I'd say.

Sponsored Links
Micky, out of curiosity is the acceptable CO2 level the same regardless of whether the appliance is inside or outside of the home?

Dangerous CO2 levels are unacceptable anywhere a human has to breathe . You moron.

Thanks for the polite reply, to me you the best example of a moron for such a response. I asked a genuine question. There is a big difference between breathing in CO2 indoors and outdoors and what minimum distances a person needs to be from the gas!

Dangerous CO2 levels are unacceptable anywhere a human has to breathe . You moron.

yes its the same. as it should be, as there are still serious safety implications. A blocked heat exchanger can pose a genuine fire risk.
Don't worry about the Troll, he's been banned.......again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back