Tiling on floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to tile a kitchen floor with 250mm x 400mm tiles and am wondering what the minimum thickness of hardboard i should lay on top of the floorboards. I know i have to put something on top of the floorboards as laying tiles directly won't be a good idea but i don't have room for 18mm ply as this will be too high. What is the minimum recommended thickness of ply to use over the floorboards so that the tiles and grout won't crack. thanks

Sponsored Links
The minimum recommended is 12mm, I have previously removed tiles that were laid on just 6mm ply (I wouldn't recommend this) but the floorboards beneath were in very good condition and were flat and solid.

Whats preventing you from raising the floor?

The other option you have is to remove the floorboards and lay 25mm WPB chipboard, which you can tile directly onto. Thus you shouldn't have a problem with the floor raising too much.

Gob's

Thanks Gobo, Tiles are going into another room and then stopping so am just trying to prevent too much of a lip.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back