Bathroom Ceiling Peeling Off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Three years ago my neighbours in the flat above me had a leak from their bathroom. I was away and the whole ceiling of my bathroom collapsed. They got the ceiling replastered and I repainted it. I used Dulux Vinyl Matt paint. This may have been a mistake because the paint is now peeling off above the bath. I don't think that this is because of more moisture coming through from above - the plaster seems dry - but rather because of condensation above the bath.

What do I do about this? If I try sanding the existing paint back to prepare it for repainting the edge remains very flaky, and before long it will start peeling again. Does the whole ceiling now need sanding back (groan) and repainting with something more waterproof?

Sponsored Links
Er, no, no mist coat was used. Mistake I guess.

There's no extractor fan in the bathroom, although I could open the window more often.

Maybe the paint will peel off with a scraper rather than all needing sanding off?

Have scraped it all off and repainted it now, but what a job! On reflection I think I did apply a mist coat previously. Anyway, I've used paint specifically marketed for bathrooms now, so hopefully all will be OK.

Sponsored Links
If you have peeling problems you need to use oil based undercoat.

Thanks, but it's too late now! If it peels again then I'll bear it in mind if I can face painting it yet again.

You defo need some more ventilation in there. You could still paint the ceiling over with oil based undercoat, this will make it more hard wearing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back