Outside Sockets/Decking Lights Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having has some deckiling laid, I am in the process of designing my lighting for the area and I wondered if this is an option.

I want to install some LED lighting AND have 5 seperate 10w deck lights both working seperate from each other.

At present, I have 4.5mm (not 100%) SWA cable from my CU in the house, feeding a CU in my garage. This cable is clipped 30cm from the floor into the concrete base panel of a fence behind hedging. In the garage I have a circuit for my lights, and a seperate sircuit for my sockets. The only thing permanently plugged in is my freezer.

I don't fancy ripping up my carpet in the house to run a fresh cable rub from the house to feed the proposed outside lights. So heres my plan;

1) Run a 2.5mm SWA from a spare fuse from the garage clipped along the fence in a similar fashion to the cable feeding the garage. THis will go to an outside weatherproof double socket.

2) From the double socket, I would plug two extensions A and B into a weather proof box where I would house my transformer for the 10w lights, and two seperate plug sockets A and B. Socket A would match up with Socket A on the outside socket and feed my LED lights. Scoket B would match with B outside and run my 10w lighting with the transformer.

If I wanted my LED's on I flick the switch for A, and if I wanted the 10w lighting on I would switch B. If I wanted them all on, I would switch both.

Please don't flame me, but offer and helpful advice, as I want a safe solution in my mind before approaching a spark to do the connecting. I would do the prep work.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
As had been said many times before regarding notifiable work, you need to contact your registered Electrician first and see how much of the 'prep work' he is happy for you to do as it will be his name on the certificate.

Also, IMO it would look a lot neater to have the SWA go into an external box with a door, and have the sockets and lighting supplies inside that.

I can fully understand that, but I want to get an idea before approaching a spark. Unfortunately, I have been let down many times by contractors spinning the speil, and then end up paying over the odds for a job.

Sponsored Links
How will knowing what you want done prevent someome overcharging you for the doing of it?

Why don't you get a spark to have a look, tell him what you want, then listen closely to how he proposes to give you lights as required.

Post this proposal and his cost on here. It will be far easier for people here to figure out if its a decent solution and whether you are having your pants pulled down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back