Cooker cable help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have just Brought new cooker delivered today but the cable that is in place is 6mm length about 3m from cooker to CU
fitting instructions say use 45amp fuse
is this ok on a 6mm cable (the cooker says on the back 15.34 Kw does this sound right ? it is a double with induction top)

thanks

Sponsored Links
6.0mm cable if clipped direct can carry marginly over 45A.
The advice would be to follow manufacturers instructions.

For that load you will need 10mm cable.
For 10mm cable you would protect with a 45 or 50A cpd

6mm is not up to the job.

15.34Kw = 66.7A and with induction hobs diversity is not as easy as with old types as they have boost when all rings not in use.

However if the manufacture says it can be supplied with just 45A then I can't see a problem.

Reference Method 100# (above a plasterboard ceiling covered by thermal insulation not exceeding 100 mm in thickness) will allow 10mm² but with Reference Method 103# (in a stud wall with thermal insulation with cable not touching the inner wall surface) then even 16mm² is only rated 42.5A.

Since you will need to change cable I would go for 16mm² likely 45A MCB will be the biggest you can get for most consumer units and getting a cooker isolator rated over 45A may also be a problem but with Part P rules hardly worth DIY and I am sure your electrician will be able to get the required parts.

Sponsored Links
are you privvy to more information that us?
he makes no mention of the installation route yet you recomend 16mm based on insulation deration..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back