Roughcasting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Below is a photo of roughcast at a client's house. Roughcasting isnt something that I have done before , though I would like to be able to since the opportunity has arisen.

The roughcast is loose/boss around 350mm upward from ground level and is in this state , past the dpc.

I am first of all wondering why this has happened, but imagine it is due to water/dampness/frost getting in over the years.

Secondly , I am not confident about getting a match to the exisiting roughcast, and the client does not wish to roughcast the whole wall.

Is there anything you can suggest ?

Thanks in advance,
Gregor

Sponsored Links
Roughcast to me is a render the has shingle thrown on to it when it is still wet. Some cover the stone with cement wash before hand. To match the exhisting, you must pick the same size and shape of stone.
Of more importance in your situation is finding out why there is a wet patch at that point (possibly leaking overflow/gutter?), plus you must expose the DPC to stop ground water crossing it!! Regards JohnC.

You can cut the roughcast just above and below the DPC, but the best way is to cut 4" or so above and render on a `bell cast `bead to just cover the join from the eye. Regards JohnC.

Sponsored Links
strip the cast and fit a bellcast bead at dpc level then smooth render below the bead and recast above.

what type of floor is in the property?......i dont see any vents!......is their any dampness showing inside?

If you tap the wall the sound will tell you if the render has lifted - use an angle grinder to cut above the loose area. This will stop the area getting bigger when you knock it off. Regards JohnC.

I had actually suggested the smooth render idea to the client , but I would still have to try and blend the bellcast in wouldnt I ?

The roughcast is loose up to where the pipe goes into the wall (not the overflow) , however you can see by the change in colour for the length of the wall that the rest may also become loose.

you wont get a seamless joint in the roughcast, and the new run of cast along the bead will stick out like a sore thumb.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back