I think I did a bad thing in the loft - please advise!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone.

Only just started reading this forum, wish I'd started a few months ago.

The problem is with my loft. I lift in a 1900's mid terrace. The loft only had a bit of insulation with some old boards chucked around. I wanted to put more insulation and properly board it, but the joists weren't very deep. Therefore, I "built the joists up" by laying lengths of timber on top of them, not at right angles, filled the gaps with insulation and then boarded the lot (up to the perlin).

It looks good and I'm happy with it, however, having read this forum I now realise I should have laid the timber at right angles to the joists. Now I'm worried that I've messed up and the ceiling will begin to sag.

Can anyone put my mind at ease??!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome anyone4beerdarts :D :D :D

as long as you realise its for light storage then you should be ok

cross bracing the joists spreads the load better but the floor boarding will still spread the load but probably only half as good

have you left the gaps at the eaves for ventilation!!

Thanks.

To be honest, I didn't go beyond the purlins, so whatever gap was there is still there. However, I am planning on laying some more insulation over there when I get the chance.

Re light storage, yeah, it's only used for the christmas decorations and the usual rubbish, nothing too heavy. If my ceiling comes down, I'll let you know.

Ta for putting my mind at ease!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back