Vinyl over lino tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to lay a new vinyl floor in my kitchen, I have pulled up the old brown carpet(mmmm nice) & underneath were lino tiles. Could anyone please advise firstly would it be a daft idea to try & lay the vinyl over the tiles & secondly am I going to have to take up the tiles & use a self leveling compound?
The floor is pretty level with the tiles down but there are a few cracked ones in places which may start to show through once the floor has settled.
I hope I am making sense???

Sponsored Links
It is never a good idea to lay vinyl over existing tiles - the floor underneath can shadow through and you can get discolouration.

The ideal method would be to uplift the existing tiles, clean off the old bitumen, check for moisture and then screed the floor with a water based screed.

ps make sure you close off the cat flap when you screed the floor!!!!

Any ideas how I clean off the old bitumen? Elbow grease or do I need a special remover? Also I do not have removable plinths on my cabinets so is there a trick to getting a neat finish along the edge? Sorry if these are stupid questions :oops:

I have a machine to do the job - it can be labour intensive by hand!!

Correction - it is labour intensive by hand.

If the tiles are firmly stuck down then you could go over it with an acrylic screed or a latex screed (but I didn't say that).

Don't go over it with a water based screed.

Sponsored Links
I tried taking up some of the tiles last night & they are lifting off ok but they are leaving part of the black backing & the glue.
I have already bought some latex self leveling compound........once all the tiles are up what would happen if I put the compound straight onto the floor without removing the glue etc? :oops:

You may be ok with it - what do the instructions on the screed say with regard to floor preparation?

You may have to ring a helpline for advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back