timer extractor independent of light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install an extractor fan with timer in my bathroom. I want to operate it from an independent pull cord within the room. The light is switched on the outside of the room. I have a DP isolating switch (to be installed). The wiring diagram is for the fan to be operated from the lightswitch, so if it's possible for me to operate the fan from the pull cord then how do I go about wiring it all in? I've searched for this info on the site and can't quite get the info I need. Please help, damsel now getting stressed!!

Sponsored Links
so you haven't any existing fan wiring yet then?

you need to find first of all a point where you have PERMANANT LIVE, NEUTRAL, and EARTH. this could be at the light, the switch or a junction box. this will depend on the wiring method used in this room.

sorry for delay in response. Correct, no wiring as yet, but i intend putting a jb in the loft above the bathroom. Thank you very much for responding...

hi there, i can either take it from the mains from the loft or through the light, either of these will be straightforward, i was going to put a junction box in to save a bit of space in the rose, i am a novice, but not entirely. My experience is in installing sockets in a room that previously had none and installing two lightswitches in a different place.

Sponsored Links
many ways you could do this

one method
run 1.0 t+e from perm L and N to the DP isolator
then run 1.0 t+e to a one way single pole pull switch
then run 1.0 3 core+e to the timed fan

connections
DP switch L+N in, L+N out

pull switch..... both browns in common (L)
black sleeved with brown in L1 (sw L)
blue and grey sleeved with blue in a separate connector block (N)

fan..... brown goes to L
black sleeved with brown goes to sw L (or T)
grey sleeved with blue goes to N

as i said there are many variations. you wouldn't need a DP switch outside the room if you were to use a 3 pole fan pull switch.

what is the DP isolating switch you have?
a wall mounted one?
or a ceiling mounted one?

Thanks for the explanation, I was thinking of using the existing light pull, i realise it isnt suitable, but the position is set up for me to put to use, as this is where the original light pull switch was, i put the switch on the outside of the room last week. Your instructions are very clear and I'm off to buy a 3pole switch tomorrow! :)

The double pole switch is a wall mounted one, with neon and accessible fuse to have been mounted above the bathroom door.

I see, I thought it might have been necessary to put it outside of the room because of the permanent live connection to keep the timer on after the fan has been switched off (so to speak). Please remember you are in communication with a novice!

you said i'd need a 3 pole pull switch earlier. I take it that i connect from light, into L in pull switch then to L in fan. N to pull switch and fan and L1 to pull switch and fan. Is this (possibly) correct?

on second thoughts it would be best to have the DP wall switch outside over the door and the single pole one way pull switch in the bathroom. ie the first method. i don't think it would work out the other way. i have deleted my messages which were incorrect!

the wiring diagram that comes with this fan shows it with a dp isolating switch with permanent live going to the remote (light switch) and to fan, the neutral from dp isolating switch to fan, via the light. The switch live going from remote to the fan (through light)
As I don't want the light to be on at the same time, how do i connect the neutral and switch live without connecting to the light? (i'm sorry if this isn't making sense, but this is why I joined!!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back