Cooker Hood Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought my first house (semi) which has a long galley like kitchen with the oven in the middle against the joining wall.

It has no cooker hood and I've realised its going to start smelling pretty quickly unless I get one in.

Therefore I intend to fit one but I'm after options regards the electrics.

Will I have the chase the cable into the wall, and therefore would using the same point as the cooker (gas oven connected to electric point directly behind it) be ok, I will I have to add a new point connected to the main ring above the hood?

Or is there a thrid way?!

Hope you can help

Sponsored Links
It doesnt take a large amount of power so you can use whichever mains point is easiest.

You say your cooker just plugs into to a mains socket. Just bear in mind that if you get a new oven in the future many of them require a 30A dedicated feed.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear, and I don't know what the proper term is but I think the cooker is plugged into a proper point. Basically it's directly behind the cooker, is wired directly in (no plug) and the switch is one of those big red cooker switches above the worktop to the side.

I just wondered if I could chase the cable for the cooker hood into this same point.

sounds like someone has been bodging things, the ignition supply for a gas cooker should have some kind of overcurrent protection and it sounds like yours may not.

Can you get us pictures of your current setup? (preferablly including the breaker at the consumer unit)

Sponsored Links
Oohh okay.

Only problem is I'm currently at work, have no broadband at home as yet and have tomorrow off. However I will post the pictures upon my return on Friday.

you can also feed a cooker hood from the lighting circuit. This may mean you have less chasing to do if you can raise the floor above and lead the cable between the cables or through holes drilled in the midpoint. You can take the power from the neutral and the permanent live in the ceiling rose for the kitchen lights. In this case it does not need to be fused down as the lighting circuit will be fused at 5 or 6 Amps. If you take the power from the socket or cooker circuit it will need to be fused dow witha 5A or 3A cartridge in the FCU.

I recommend using a Flex outlet cut into the wall with the hood flex connected into that. Put it next to or above the hood but in easy reach for maintenance. It will not look unsightly as at they height it will not catch the eye.

Be aware that most electrical work in kitchens in notifiable

ALL STOP!!

Thanks to everybody that took the time to post, however I owe you an apology.

After a particularly smelly and steamy dinner Tuesday night I discussed the problem with a work colleague and we of course came to the conclusion that I would need to get a cooker hood. The only problem would be how I connected it up, and he then suggested I try here for solutions.

What I should have done before posting was actually check properly my current setup, because if I had I would have seen the power point handily fitted near the top of the ceiling!!

So again apologies for wasting your time, but thank you again for responding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back