Builder installed an internal door where external was needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builder installed an internal door where building regs say I need an external door. The door is between a utility room (unheated) and an office space (heated). Needless to say the builder is no longer around so I have to sort this out.

I am happy to replace the door myself, but do I have to replace the frame also to be compliance? That would be a lot more work and make a mess of my nice plaster work.

I realise that I will have to adjust the inner edge of the frame as the external doors are thicker, but that I can handle.
I am not concerned about the security benefits of an external door frame as the utility has fully secured external doors to the outside world.

Sponsored Links
You may find that the casing is not 'man enough' for the task. It could split. That said there are many old properties with huge internal doors hanging off a standard-ish liner.

It is only what is practical at the end of the day. If you thing the hassle is worth it routering a 34mm to a 40mm then give it a pop.

Only thing is, should it be a firedoor and frame?

Thanks for the reply.
Only thing is, should it be a firedoor and frame?
The building inspector did not say so, but hasn't really offered a decison on the frame either which isn't helpful :( .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back