HELP!! Problems with British Gas Alarm KP5501Z

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help me.
I have a british gas alarm system which is almost 6 years old. Recently the trouble light has illuminated. I have looked through the DSC user manual and my problem is the main panel backup battery charge is low?

Can anyone tell me how I might be able to rectify this without having to call an engineer?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No all I was left with by the engineer who fitted it was a user manual

Sound like you have the same probs as me m8.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=193912

like me, you unwittingly paid for a box in your house and the installer has put his own personel pin number into it so that even if you have a key it will lockout.
Nice little zipup.. only him with the pin can change your battery.
or pay another company , or rip it out and put your own in :evil:
Faith lost in this industry..

Sponsored Links
OK next question - is anyone out there a British Gas Alarm fitter who may be able to do the job for me cheaply???

Gritish Bas do alarms? :eek:

Rip it out and fit something better. Can probably use the same wiring.

OK next question - is anyone out there a British Gas Alarm fitter who may be able to do the job for me cheaply???

you dont need a gasboard fitter - just someone who knows what they are on about, however it sort of negates the reason you went there in the 1st place.

I fit the DSC 832 & 1832 control panels as used by British Gas. And knowing the specific software that British Gas use (Specially written), I can tell you that opening the panel will cause it to need the engineer code. Yes they have thier vested interests sewn up. There are not many engineers that know the system in the UK., its from Canada. Thats why your thread is so popular. Unfortunately your milles away from Nottingham, so I can't help. Obviously I can't just give you the code... sorry. Even if I did, its not simple to reset some keypads (with scroll buttons & text ) are ok but the more common keypad gives fault codes in binary and the engineer code is protected by the master code also. I suggest you google local alarm companies & trawl their websites to find a company that can handle it. You code ask British Gas to come just once and get them to change the engineer code and re-programme it to customer reset for alarms & troubles. Check what they are prepared to do on a callout, before you agree to anything. But in fairness to Bg and the industry in general, they are increasing your security by protecting engineering codes. Had you been closer I could have been more help, sorry & good luck

I fit the DSC 832 & 1832 control panels as used by British Gas. And knowing the specific software that British Gas use (Specially written), I can tell you that opening the panel will cause it to need the engineer code.

it can be worked around though - unfortunatly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back