Hip roof meeting main roof close to ridge tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Looking for some devine inspiration about how to solve this issue please.

I am doing my first cut roof on our extension to our bungalow, but can forsee a problem joining our new extension roof to the main roof on one side.

Where the new extension meets the origional building there is a small set back of about 400mm, the reason for this is to give more room to get in and out of the car under the car port next to the extension.

As per the pic

This will put the valley on this side close to the hip tiles and i do not really want to have to take them off to make everything water tight.

I will if i have to but can anyone suggest anything ?

Basically i will have about 1 or maybe two tile widths between ridge and valley, on this side the other side is fine

The pic shows the set back, but not the ridge, will do another pic later perhaps

This one may help

Thanks guys, any help appreciated, Roofer where are you ! :D

Tufty

Sponsored Links
Once you get your head around building the roof, i.e. fix the lay boards onto the existing roof so that you can fix the jacks to the lay board, you will realize that it is not possible to build the roof whilst the exiting ridge tiles are in place.

They will be in the way of the valley board for one!

The sooner you get your head around removing the hip ridge and neighbouring tiles, the better.

Provided the new roof pitch is identical to the existing, then there is no reason why you can't use valley tiles as opposed to lead.

Thanks noseall

Roof already started but progressing towards main roof from the other way, just got to the interesting bit now.

I guessed they would have to come off, but its the wrong time of year, and i was hoping there might be a way without removing them.

I should be able to use valley tiles as my pitches are the same.

Am i right in saying that the lay boards should finish flush with the top edge of the valley jacks ?

I have another similar extension to the front of our property which is proving useful as a general guide (done before we bought it) and the boards on this finish flush and has a felt vee down the valley with valley tiles over.

I assume this set up is still acceptable.

The lay board is a piece of timber which 'collects' the rafter ends in a location where there is no wall plate to b.m. onto, i.e.where the new roof joins the existing - as you run the jack rafters up the pitch of the existing roof.

You are best off constructing the new roof up to the point where you need to fix the lay boards to the existing rafters. You then use the new rafters and a long straight edge as a guide to site the lay board.

Difficult to explain without waving my arms and gesturing a lot. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks yet again noseall.

Have progressed today, and the pic below shows progress mid way.

I have fitted all valley jacks this side, and i have run a vee of felt 1000mm wide between the main roof and the new roof , bringing the breathable membrane from the new roof over the vee to the existing roof.

I think i have to remove the tiles of the origional roof, and the plan is to remove the tiles back so as to allow the 500mm vee of felt existing roof side, to go under the existing roof felting.

Then re batten, and fit valley tiles over.

Both pitches are give or take 41 deg

Can you see any issues with my plan or have i lost the plot completely.

Be gentle with me , i am a roofing virgin :oops:

Oh and can any one identify the tile type from the pic

On the back of the tile it says

Kingsbury
Tamworth

If it helps

Thanks

Tufty

Don't recognize the actual tile, as there have been many many makers of plaintiles such as yours, i'm guessing they're clay tiles as they look too square to be concrete.

Thanks Haydn.

Someone did tell me, but i have forgotten.

I think they are clay tiles, as they dont break like concrete.
I intend to go get some reclaimed ones locally to match in better with the main roof.

No doubt a local site may help.

Out of interest, is it generally cheaper to use new or reclaimed tiles?

Thanks for ther reply

Surprising as it may seem there isn't too much difference in cost between second hand and new tiles in most cases, a lot of this is due to the relatively low increases in prices of new tiles over some years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back