consumer unit fuses keep blowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am unable to have my lounge fuse in the consumer unit. I am having to use a extention lead. If I put the fuse back in and turn the power on...It blows and the whole house looses power. I have a old black consumer unit with dominoe type fuses, I did buy a new one but have not approached anyone yet.Need to solve the problem before I do. Many Thanks :confused: :confused: :(

Sponsored Links
Seconded, given your very non-technical description of what is happening, I don't think you will have the necessary test gear to track down a fault, unless it is very simple, (like its gone wrong since nailing something to the wall :confused: ) If the fuse blows with nothing plugged into the sockets, then its a real fault, either in one of the sockets or in the wiring supplying same , and will need systematic isolation, by measurements and disconnecting parts of the circuit.
Of course if it only blows with the 'XX plugged in' then the XX is faulty not the house wiring.
You do not give enough technical detail to give us the necessary confidence that you can isolate the fault.
Sorry, best to call in someone who can, and not get hurt.
regards M.

Sponsored Links
Goldengirl said:
I am unable to have my lounge fuse in the consumer unit. I am having to use a extention lead. If I put the fuse back in and turn the power on...It blows and the whole house looses power. I have a old black consumer unit with dominoe type fuses, I did buy a new one but have not approached anyone yet.Need to solve the problem before I do. Many Thanks :confused: :confused: :(

Its hard to explain really. There will be nothing plugged in to the sockets. The origanal socket is behind a radiator and there is a wire running out of the bottom of the socket, along the skirting to a new socket. When the power goes off...It does blow the dominoe fuse that protects my lounge.
It suddenly started blowing the fuse wire. There are no nails in any of my lounge walls.

There could well be a problem with that rather unorthodox additional socket - either in its connection behind the radiator or in its internal wiring. Coming across stuff like that... you really need expert advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back