Crimped Earth Wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need help please.

I 'accidently' cut my earth wire (10mm) from consumer box to water & gas pipes. Is it ok to crimp them together again or do I have to run a continuous earth wire?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I was hoping that wouldn't be the answer :cry:

It'll mean pulling up floorboards and holes in ceilings, is it really, really necessary or can i get away with re-joining the cut ends by scrimping ???

Tonto said:
I was hoping that wouldn't be the answer :cry:

It'll mean pulling up floorboards and holes in ceilings, is it really, really necessary or can i get away with re-joining the cut ends by scrimping ???

you have been told to replace it. so replace it. its there for your safety

Sponsored Links
It may be crimped if it is not feasable to renew.

Use an un-insulated butt crimp, and the correct sized ratched or hydraulic hex crimper (hire from wholesaler if you dont have one). DONT USE ANY OTHER TOOL TO CRIMP.

Once crimped, use self-amalgumating tape to prevent corrosion. (not sure on the spelling for that!).

In an ideal world, yes renew. If it isnt possible, you may crimp.

thanks for all the comments, I'll get myself down to the hire shop for a crimper :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back