"Must Have" Tools Best brands

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the tool that you could not live without?

And Why?

What is the best 17th ed Meter to buy?

Wall chasing, what is the best approach, tool, combination of tools?

Sponsored Links
My new favorite tool is my Knipex electicians knife.

I used to strip T&E with my side cutters, but since starting college have seen the light.

Sponsored Links
Think they are Bahco which have the scale on them,
For a tester I cannot fault Megger - their aftersales is excellent. I currently have an MFT1552.

I used to strip T&E with my side cutters, but since starting college have seen the light.

I still strip T&E with my side cutters. But not in the way Rob is thinking of. ;)

They are Bahco.

I also couldn't do without my Bahco side cutters - It's just not the same using an inferior pair.

Megger MFT1552 - by far the best multi-function tester that I've used.

Knipex knives, not too bad but i find that trying to strip the pvc sheath of mains cables is not easy with it because the blade is small. But thats what the company say we have to use

disinfo";p="1382716 said:

Is this the one?

Knipex 98 52 Cable Knife VDE Insulated

Strong, comfortably shaped safety handle, fixed straight blade, with detachable protecting cap. Insulated to VDE standard. Tested up to 1000Volts. Length 180mm. Blade length 50mm.

Also what is wrong with the cheesewire method?

Is this the one?

Knipex 98 52 Cable Knife VDE Insulated

Strong, comfortably shaped safety handle, fixed straight blade, with detachable protecting cap. Insulated to VDE standard. Tested up to 1000Volts. Length 180mm. Blade length 50mm.

Yep, thats the one.

Also what is wrong with the cheesewire method?

It stretches the CPC, leaving it with a reduced CSA, and higher resistance.

Oh, and once you have mastered using a knife, it is much easier than the cheese wire method.

has anyone actually ever done any trials on whether using the CPC to rip open the sheath has any measurable impact on it's properties.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back