Storage heater outlet now socket, reduce fuse size?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Look like my house had storage heaters in the past as below each window is an individual socket, the consumer unit also has labels mentioning upstairs heating/downstairs heating etc.

The MCB's are still rated at 32A and we do use these sockets occasionally. Should I replace them with smaller ones for safety?

Sponsored Links
What size of cable is used and what are the circuit arrangements?

looks to be 2.5mm

Consumer unit has two 32A MCB's labeled, upstairs heating and downstairs heating.

Looks like there were only two storage heaters upstairs and six downstairs (unless the've tiled over the old outlet in the bathroom). Based on the number of single sockets underneath windows

looks like they are on a ring as one of the sockets i opened up upstairs has two wires coming in/out the back.

house was built approx 1986 so it's not ancient wiring

looks to be 2.5mm

looks like they are on a ring as one of the sockets i opened up upstairs has two wires coming in/out the back.
If it is a ring on 2.5mm², then a 32A MCB should be fine.

Sponsored Links
house was built approx 1986 so it's not ancient wiring
But nevertheless, 23 years old and should be inspected if it hasnt already been.

So, exactly what IS the expected lifespan of a reasonably modern installation? Do we expect the insulation to break down in 23 years?
No, we dont. However, its recommended to have the installation inspected every 10 years, or at change of occupier, whichever is sooner. Screws loosen with vibration and heat. Additions get added. Cables get screwed through.

I wired some sockets a couple of years back.

I had to rewire the circuit just 6 months later due to damage by vermin.

That wiring should have lasted 30 or so years.

storage heaters are usually wired in radials (one per heater) not rings in which case they are usually on 15A/16A/20A fuses/MCBs.

How many heater outlets have you got, and how many fuses or MCBs for them?

storage heaters are usually wired in radials (one per heater) not rings in which case they are usually on 15A/16A/20A fuses/MCBs.

How many heater outlets have you got, and how many fuses or MCBs for them?

at first i thought they were radials which was why i wondered if I should reduce the mcb's as i didn't know if having a single socket on a 32a mcb was a good idea

Closer inpsection of the CU shoed only two mcb's for the old heating ( Third post from the top gives the circuit arrangement)

You've just made me think though, I should probably check the 2nd socket upstairs as it might have 1 cable if it's on the end of the circuit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back