Asbestos Roof - Self Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for some advice. My neighbours are planning to take down their asbestos garage roof. My concern is that they are not employing a licensed professional, it's simply family members doing the work.

With this in mind I need to know if they can legally remove the roof themselves? As I am extremely concerned about mine and my childrens/pets safety from possible negligent work.

I should add that they also require access to my rear garden to complete the roofs removal.

Sponsored Links
I`ll sit on the fence with this one ;) But it`s most likely Corrugated Asbestos-cement :idea: Have a search on t`net about that. It`s a lot less dodgy than pure fibre/lagging.

Usually with these cemented asbestos roofs there is little dust if any to speak of - but anyone would give the thing a good soaking before and during demolition. John :)

as far as i am aware unless they start to physically smash the sheeting up creating dust there is not much you can do i am afraid.
you could politely suggest a few ideas to them , soaking the roof for instance with a pva/water or similar solution before removal.
if they do it on a rainy day then all the better.
asbestos cement sheeting isn't really all that dangerous unless its smashed , drilled , sawn through etc.

Sponsored Links
i sold my old garage on ebay a few month ago. the lads that came to take it, got suited & booted to take the asbestos sheets off the roof.

they kindly left them on the drive for me to take away. i went to the local tip. they gave me some blue plastic sheeting to wrap the stuff in. so, i got suited up inc face mask and wrapped the stuff.

tbh i woudlnt worry too much if theyre just taking it down. its if they start smashing the stuff up when it becomes a problem.

go give them a hand & take our expert advice so they know how to do it properly!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back