slight shock off the kettle or dishwasher

It does mean though I've got to buy a lotto ticket for those numbers now just in case!! Imagine if they came up and I'd not got a ticket. Winning means at least I'd call in a pro.

Sponsored Links
If i touch the kettle with a wet hand, or a cut finger, i get a bit of a shock - nothing major, but bloody annoying. any clues on how to trace it. it happens with barefeet touching a nail that holds the wooden floor to the concrete subfloor.

the diswasher and kettle are not in the same socket.

Noticed sunday an earthing lead hanging loose beneath the kitchen cupboards.

A very mild current running through the cold water tap also not uncommon.
You don't necessarily need to call an electrician, but you do need to act without delay.

Your dishwasher and kettle are not earthed, and (luckily) the bonding to the sink is inadequate.

I would first find out why the appliances are not earthed, and fix it, then address the bonding problem. Between now and when you fix the problem leave the appliances unplugged.

constructiveness - have you got any main bonding conductors installed from the main earthing terminal to your gas or water supplies?

As the installation sounds like it may well be pre 17th Ed, do you have supplementary bonding in place?

I am assuming you have no RCD protection in your property.

Sponsored Links
Your dishwasher and kettle are not earthed, and (luckily) the bonding to the sink is inadequate. I would first find out why the appliances are not earthed, and fix it, then address the bonding problem.

Possibly they are earthed and it is the floor is live from some fault else where.

First need to measure voltages reference to true ground such as an earth rod to determine which is live by ( leakage ) and which is not live.

In this sort of situation it is necessary to consider the possibility that the "earth" at the consumer unit is not actually tied to earth or, if derived from the supply neutral, that the supply neutral at the cut out is not at earth potential.

Hi to those still contibuting to this post,
Given the potentially lethal situation that could arise in less than 1 second, what do you all think to this...

Waiting for help here serves only to delay you in getting a professional Electrician (or 17th edition scumbag, according to eniacs) in to sort it out.

No offence to anyone, but IMO swift action should be sought here, not further dilly-dallying

On the other hand, the OP could get disheartened with the lack of useful responses, be unable to afford a spark, and leave it as is for another N years, which also isnt desirable....

possibly, but if you read his responses to my suggestion, it seems as though the penny has dropped and he might bite the bullet soon before he bites the dust.

Its only in the interest of safety that i say these things. Stringing him along here isn't curing the problem he reports.

If it were your Dad doing this and although a smart cookie, he didn't really know what he was doing, would you give him unqualified help over the phone or would you cut the B/S and find him a trustworthy electrician, pronto?

Problem fixed. Thanks to everyone for their advice and calls for my well being in getting a professional in. But, stubbourn to the end, I decided to have a look see last night. Next door obliged with an extension lead for lighting and I set about me and my meter in getting to the bottom of the issue.

But I bottled it. All those shouts of living on borrowed time etc. fresh in my mind, but still a stubbourn (and tight) s.o.b. so I was going to resolve the issue myself. I killed the power and removed the offending two sockets from the kitchen circuit. plumbed one at a time to a length of wire with an earthed three pin plug on the end and tried them plugged into a known good socket. Power on tested the problem socket with a the meter. Where before i was getting 100Volt at the earth to floor, now nothing.

I removed the plug, and made a new connection via a junction box back to the ring. repeated the tests. Seems ok. No voltage and no tingles in the fingers or feet at the sink. have called a man in to certify what I've done is sound and no school boy errors.

so looks like it was something between the two sockets was at fault and whilst i've not resolved the issue truely in so far as learning what it was, I'm at least safe once more when it's my turn to wash up!

Once again, cheers for all the info and tips and the repeated strong advice from some quarters to getting a man in.

It does mean though I've got to buy a lotto ticket for those numbers now just in case!! Imagine if they came up and I'd not got a ticket. Winning means at least I'd call in a pro.
Yep, but if they did come up you could spend some time with these guys in Bognor and learn a bit of fault finding!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back