Crimping and heatshrink?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I asked my tutor the other night about the correct way to crimp & apply heatshrink but he was a bit vague about it, I'm not sure he knows himself to be honest.
Can anyone either link me to a good guide on it or explain the basics of it please.
The crimping I'm ok with (got a ratchet crimper etc) but I haven't used heatshrink :)

Sponsored Links
Very much so, thanks, I'll get some heatshrink and a gun to practice with.

I'm having a problem with the butt connectors though as I can't seem to get a decent bite on the conductor no matter what size I use.
The eyelets and forks etc, are fine as the terminals are 'cut' so they bite in nicely but the butts I have are continuous and just squash down on to the conductor but don't actually grip.
Have I just got crap crimps that are just good for the bin and nothing else or is that normal?

I would normally start in centre and work outwards otherwise you can trap air.
Hot air guns are better than flame but care is required not to over heat. Especially at the ends as it can split if over heated.
Needs to be as even as you can there are tools to assist this that force heat around shrink not just at one point but not found the too good.

As with soldering, welding, it's practice that makes perfect and everyone over heats some shrink at some time.

It also shrinks end to end which is why I start in centre it is so easy to end up with gap between shrink and outer sheaf and one has to be very neat.

The shrink joint has given way to the cast joint which is easier unless it leaks. Some extra self amalgamating tape is handy plus of course has to be level which is where shrink has the advantage.

As to crimping the Hydraulic are easy as you select dies and pump until it auto releases in main but the adjustable strong arm type can be hard and I have needed to slack off and crimp twice when getting near the 120mm limit of my set.

Foot operated hydraulic crimps are better than hand type as with hand type head and pump are in one and can be hard to position.

With oval dies used with tap off crimps you need to be careful to orientate correctly.

477281.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ups I was thinking these crimps
cembre-connector---c1210337662.jpg
it is possible on pre-insulated to get calibration wrong but unlikely. I have only had pre-insulated shrink but connectors once came from military and I seem to remember I also had a problem and had to use cheap pliers type crimper they were thinner than standard the military had the correct jaws for their pliers which did not crimp insulation part like with normal crimps.

Are you using this type
C448115-63.jpg

I think this
58433-3%5B2%5D.jpg
is correct tool all different die sets i.e.
58435-1.jpg
think I would use cheap pliers type or use different crimps.

.....Are you using this type
C448115-63.jpg
I'm using this type http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CTBUTTslashR.html although they didn't come from TLC so I can't blame them for the lack of quality.
Those transparent ones look far better and it looks like the terminal is actually split so I'll be binning the old ones and replacing them I think :)

Edit: Looking in to the 'transparent' ones it seems that they already have heatshrink on them so I guess no extra is needed, is this correct?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back