Which satellite dish / quattro LNB?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just about to install a Labgear multiswitch and have been advised by Labgear to fit a 'round 60 - 80cm dish'. When asked which dish they would recommend, they answered 'any reasonable dish will be OK'. So, never having had any dealing with satellite installations, I was hoping that the knowledgable and experienced members / guests out there could recommend a suitable dish and quattro LNB to suit (Equally, any particular kit that needs to be avoided would also be worth knowing).

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
How about :-
http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/dish_80cm.htm

The main thing is that the LNB be designed for the shape of the disk. Sky dishes are elliptical and require a LNB for that dish shape.

It really depends on what you are trying to receive.

Also there are two types of quad LNB. Normally most people want the type where each output can be switched between both polorisations and bands so it is suitbale for connecting direct to sky boxes etc...
However there is a 2nd type which is normally connected to distribution switches/amps in places such as blocks of flats where the feed gets sent to many people.

Thanks for the reply gblades.

As I mentioned, I'll be using a multiswitch and a quattro LNB; the quattro LNB outputs each one of the four satellite signal components individually all the time, making them available at each outlet of the multiswitch such that each location can watch and record individual channels (I'll be running two PF100 cables to each location connecting to a quad screened plate - SAT1/SAT2/TV/FM DAB).

As to what I'm trying to receive, I'm looking at Astra or Hotbird (not interested in Sky at the moment).

The satellite itself needs to be wall mounted to make the four cable runs from the LNB to the multiswitch as easy as possible.

If the LNB needs to be 'matched' to the dish as you mentioned, hopefully the website you suggested will sort me out. Failing that :confused: I'll put my faith in the members & guests of this forum :)

You could always email or phone satcure. They are normally very helpfull.

As for the dish shape its normally just a case of an elliptical Sky dish or a normal circular one.

Sponsored Links
If you are still looking for a dish i can recommend Triax or Raven Gemini both well made and good value.
If you dont want Sky consider a multi LNB setuo using an 80cm dish and 3 LNBs to get hotbird, Astra and Astra 2 this would provide a very good selection of channels from accross europe.
Avoid the cheap dishes sold by discount supermarkets they are made from thin metal and the paint flakes off causing rust of the dish face.

Thanks for the recommendations streetlighter. Still running a multitude of cables around the house and yet to source the dish. Have been advised to go for a Gibertini 80cm dish so I'll compare spec's/reports with your Triax & Raven Gemini recommendations.
As I've already bought the multiswitch (can only be returned for credit :( ) I'm going to stick to the quattro LNB setup, which will also suit my plans for expansion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back