Re-filling heating system big problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Please can anybody offer me some help here?

I drained down out heating circuit from a drain-cock to add a new radiator (old one was removed and new one is different size / type so had to cut into pipe).

On re-filling, I untied the float valve and the header tank filled but then it got very slow.

The 3 port was manually opened to it's mid position and I undo radiator ents and manual air vent in loft to try and help it along, but the float valve is only a filling with a very slow flow, so why is the system not re-filling properley. At this rate it will take 2 days to re-fill!!

My hot water cylinder, 3 port vale, pump and manual air vent are all in the loft btw just below the cold water tank and smaller header tank.

Please help :)

Sponsored Links
No the float valve is fine. It lets water in as normal untilt he header tank is full. But the header tank shouldnt be full as the system should be filling via the feed pipe to it from the tank! ANd the feet outlet s not blocked I have checked.

Sponsored Links
I touched the cold feed pipe with a magne and no sticking though.

Do you think it may be an airlock issue, my system is very old by the look of it.

Could be a blockage on the cold feed. Could be an air lock.

Use a hose off the mains and backfill the system through the drain cock.
Keep an eye on the f&e tank and stop when the water rises either through the cold feed outlet or the through the open vent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back