Removing a Second Light Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My kitchen light can be operated by 2 switches (1 at either end of room).

I want to get rid of one of the switches cos its never used and I'm putting a cabinet there.

Can I just remove the switch, disconnect the wires, terminate them properly and leave them in the wall?

Or do they need to be connected to each other or something?

Cheer

Chris

Sponsored Links
You can't leave them in the wall, if the cable has the potential to come live. No one would know it was there!
You could put a blank plate over the box but it should be made accessible for inspection and testing.

How is your lighting circuit wired?

See here for details of the different ways, and particularly the different ways in which 2-way switching can be done:

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

Photos of each switch would be handy.

You will be able to remove the switch, and either disconnect the link cable, or join it to simulate whichever switch position you need so that the other switch works the right way around, but the problem with removing accessories is that if you were relying on them to create a safe zone for buried cables, when you remove them you remove the zone, and can no longer have the cables buried in the wall...

One more thing - you should read this: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p

as this work is notifiable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back