Business rates increase reduction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Business rates will soon be increased again. A large proportion of commercial premises including shops, workshops, storage and offices are rated too high, sometimes by as much as 30 - 40%.
This is due to the system used by this government of charging you the maximum local rate, and leaving it up to you to tell them how many of the reducing factors apply to your premises. The list is as long as my arm, some factors are complicated, and some are easy enough to list for a 14 year old.

Appeals are simple and free. Any reduction granted will be backdated to the beginning of the assessment period; at the moment 5 years.
If you appeal before the ending of the current period, which is within months, you will get a rebate over the full 5 years, as well as a discount for the coming 5. In other words: a 10% reduction will add up to a year's free rates.

Do NOT talk to the council, they will always tell you your rates are correct. This is technically true because they compare them to the figures from the valuation office.

Appeals and data are the territory of the Valuation Office, the council only collects the moneys.

Well worth spending some time on if your work is not that busy.

Sponsored Links
The government send me a form each year asking me to measure our warehouse and if it's correct and matches their records then take no further action.

That is typical bureaucratic nonsense, unless you have a foldable warehouse that varies in size from year to year.
Did they inform you that you are probably paying too much because any space occupied by:

Hall
Toilets
Office (sometimes)
Compulsory fire paths/access

can be subject to reductions of up to 100%? (wc)

Did they inform you of reductions that apply for:

Roof construction
Local nuisance

Sponsored Links
Back