Potterton prima 40F BIG BANG keeps cutting out after 1 min

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm new to this site. I am really in a fix. I have a Potterton Prima 40F Bolier which has been working fine scince I bought my house 2 years ago. Yesterday in the middle of the night it made this really big bang noise. It sounded more like an explosion of some sort.

I got it working but it keeps cutting out after about a min and then comes on it self after about 2 mins. PLease help me i'm freezing. :(

I would really apreciate the advice.

THANK YOU! :)

Sponsored Links
as a guess, pump failure, causing overheating(banging will occur) then overheat stat tripped.
Turn boiler stat off, check through hole in bottom casing. should be a red button. push it in. see if that makes the boiler work?

Or water leak around motorised valve and you have heard bang as it shorted out.
Is fuse in spur blown

Thanks. I tried this and it has worked however, the boiler keeps cutting out and goes off after about 1 minute or so. It won't stay on long enough to do anything. It is igniting.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
One more vote for the pump.
If it does turn, check that it also runs at setting 1.

If it's too hot to touch turn the power off and let it cool, chances are it's the hot one that's packed up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back