PVC trunking in bathroom for extractor fan

DJM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our bathroom has always suffered condensation and I want to get an extractor fan fitted. I know it's notifiable, and will get a sparks to do it, but before wasting time getting quotes, I want to check logistics first.

Bathroom is a projection through the roofline with 3 exterior walls of insulated studwork protected exteriorly with roof tiles and is interiorly tiled floor to ceiling. Access to cavity is therefore very difficult without significant redecoration (and matching tiles are no longer available) which is not attractive. Opposite corner to door (most efficient place for fan) is where shower is. Therefore fan will be on wall over shower and SELV fan required.

My question is, is it acceptable to run the wiring from the transformer (located outside bathroom) to the fan in surface mounted pvc trunking?
The run would also be quite long due to the route required.

Sponsored Links
Provided the cable between the fan and transformer is large enough, then you can do what you suggest.

You don't need a SELV fan anyway.

Provided the cable between the fan and transformer is large enough, then you can do what you suggest.

You don't need a SELV fan anyway.
Thanks. I had assumed as the fan would be in zone 1 SELV would be required - or at very least preferred

As it is in zone 1, it is required to be SELV as you say.

(Regulation 701.55)

Sponsored Links
701.55 lists what can be installed in zone 1
701.55 (v) = Ventilation equipment
SELV not required, although can be used if desired.

I don't know why, but I didn't associate ventilation equipment with a fan :oops:

I agree that SELV is not required, but certainly would be best IMO.

Thanks guys.
As the fan will be only a short distance above the shower cubicle height, I think I'd feel happier with SELV.
At least I now know it is worth getting a quote and I'm not wasting everybodies time.

I will be asking same sparks who did kitchen cooker radials for a quote and as he isn't keen on the manual labour side, he'll no doubt suggest I get the runs ready for him to connect. Had to do all the chasing for him in the kitchen lol.

To make life even simpler, I was thinking of asking for a fan with integral humidistat like http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/XPLV100H.html so that could use a switched FCU outside bathroom and not have to get access to light switch. Dont really need it on for brusing teeth etc, only for shower. Good idea?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back