Double pole switching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a roll shutter garage door and to replace remote system £300+ which can't afford. So want to test the motor is ok by wiring to two double pole switch.
MOTOR WIRE. BROWN, BLUE, BLACK [assumed reverse action wire] EARTH.

Propose: Mains in Brown Blue Earth..
Load side to roll shutter motor: Brown L Blue N Earth connected to relevant terminals load out side of DP switch. This leaves the BLACK reverse action wire floating, how would this be incorporated in the second switch.
This is to test the motor is working before paying out £40 for key switch [from a roll shutter company] for roll shutter doors as a cheaper replacement to remote units.
Thanks Greengrass

Sponsored Links
Not sure without seing it, but it could be possible the live switches between brown/black for up/down

You need to stop what you are doing right now.

First of all you need to make sure the motor is rated for 230V.

Next you need to give up with your 20A DP switch idea.

What do you think would happen if both switches are turned on at the same time, and the motor tries to go both up and down at the same time?

Sponsored Links
I dont think he intends to connect it up with two DP switches.

I read it as he wanted to connect the motor to a DP switch to test it and ensure it works, then order the correct keyswitch from the door manufacturer if its ok.

Gotta assume that for the duration of a one-off test he will take care not to turn both switches on...

I'll answer in order of the replies:

Sparky 123. I've been told by Rollaway Mk2 door installers[which is what mine is] it's 230/40v.

ban-all-sheds: Yes I'm aware of that only using one switch and swapping over in turn the brown and black [up brown down black] isolating each of brown or black for safety during test run. And of course winding door half way up manually first.

Aragorn84. Yes thought of that so only using one switch and changing brown and black over for up or down testing. Then total disconnection if motor satisfactory will be ordering a key switch from quantekshop.co.uk. Contacting them by email to ensure I get the right one.

333rocky333: Yes Brown UP Black DOWN. could even be other way around we'll see on test.

Many thanks to you all Greengrass. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back