HW no CH Gloworm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there - we have just moved into new house which has been vacant for at least 5 months. we have a gloworm wall mounted boiler c. 1998. Hot water works fine, but central heating dosent come on and the pipe for the water for heating is not hot. Yesterday the light for the heating came on briefly when i turned on a tap in the bathroom - but then went out again. No thermostat in sight. Also, when we were trying to fix it we increased the pressure by accident from 0.9 to just under 3.0..... Is it safe to have the boiler on at all because of increased pressure and how do I get the heating to work? Have NO technical knowledge whatsoever, so please make answers easy to understand! Thanks guys. :cry:

Sponsored Links
First find a drain point on a pipe somewhere, hopefully. They usually have a small square bit on top which you turn. Let water out to get the pressure down to about 1 bar.

Which Glowie is it?

Hello - I've bled all the radiators and the heating is working now (thankfully!). I'm just a bit worried about the pressure - its a Glow worm Compact 100e - fanned flue combo boiler. Its says in the manual that the pressure should be a minimum of 0.7, but it dosent say what the max should be... when heating & hot water not in use the pressure is at about 1.4, but when CH & HW on, it quickly rises to around 3.0 - is this ok?
Thanks for you help :D

No; it means the expansion vessel need attention.

First check if the vessel has water or air by depressing the schroeder valve on the top.

if water then you need a new vessel, if air it needs recharging so come back with your findings

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back