Dry Verge Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone just a quick query Im due to fit a dry verge system to a bungalow which already has the front done and they want the back done now so it matchs purely for cosmetic purposes as the mortar is sound. Im just wondering wether i need to remove the mortar as for one if the mortar is sound could be a pain to remove and secondly i dont really want to damage any tiles in the process so i was wondering if I would be able to plug and screw a baton into the mortar and then fix the dry verge system to the baton ?

Sponsored Links
Sometimes, if the verge is not too high with compo (from asbestolux to top of tile) you can nail a lath onto the fascia board underneath and nail in one of the lower holes to secure the cap in place.

DV is really intended for a compo free system where the lath extends right out, there are all sorts of bob the builder ways to fix them!

good luck :D

Sponsored Links
thats a bargain im in cannock where abouts can i get them from

Areco
Coppice Lane
Aldridge

Take u 25 mins from the McDonalds island in Cannock, say Matt from MwRoofline sent you and that they can do it for £1.31 otherwise if you don't say you'll get charged over the counter price.

I reckon thats worth hitting the thankyou button as i've been on number 13 for a week and i've had 2 flat tyres and the washing machine is broke, need to get off that unlucky number, lol

plug and screw a baton into the mortar and then fix the dry verge system to the baton ?
I'd be interested to see a photo. My mortar tends to crack and fall out, so I've thought about dry verge, but can't see an easy reliable method.

Surely the point of doing it is that the mortar falls out?

yea i know what you mean i wouldnt personally have it done unless it needed doing and they are adament they want it done so if they going to show the pound notes who am i to stop them!

thanks roofline Ive used areco before for my fascias but the plastics company next door to gills building merchants did the fascias cheaper for me but ill go in to areco and tell them u sent me !

They correct way to instal the dry verge is to take the cement out all the way up, either cut in new battens to the nearest rafter or use the plastic batten extenders the go over the short batten get screwed in to it and using a screw fix the dry verge to the batten extender.
im not saying you cant do it other ways but you want it to last past the first couple of windy winters!
Cheers
Dave

have you got a pic of the batten extender method?

Hi John, i dont use them that often but i think Marley make them, i will try and find out.
Cheers
Dave

The correct way to fix dry verge is to the roofing batten.

The correct way to retro-fix them to a 'wet' verge is to remove the mortar, extend the battens then fix to the battens.

Plastic pirates may tell you different, but this is how we do it in the real world of construction. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back