Hi all,

I'm just about to do some electrics at home, but I'm not sure
what I'm allowed to do in regards to the new rules and
regulations.

Are we allowed to move plug sockets, or take a spur from
them ?

In our bedroom, we've got two single plug sockets, both of
which are on the same side of the room which is a real pain,
so I'd like to move one to the other side of the room.

Now, instead of having to pull up the carpets and floorboards
etc, I was just gonna extend one of the existing plug sockets,
and run cable around the skirting board.

Can I use a junction box, or would it be better to just use a
3 pin plug, and run some twin & earth to the new socket ?

Can anyone advise the best way to do it ?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Yes you are allowed under part P to move sockets in a bedroom BUT, what you describe, with cables tacked to the skirting is not properly protected for fixed wiring - if you must do that, make it a simple extension lead, that just plugs into the original socket, and feeds a socket that is screwed to the wall at the other end. (In fact anything that plugs in is not covered under the new rules, you could do this sort of horrible bodge to feed something in a kitchen or bathroom too.)
However, a properly installed extra socket will indeed involve lifting floorboards and chiseling plaster, but in the long run would be a far, far better thing, and looks better.
regards M.

PS I suppose at a push cable run in trunking on the skirting would be OK for fixed wiring, but will look horrible.

Is there a room the other side of the wall where you want the new socket? It might be easy to just add a new one into the ring instead of extending from one of the existing ones.

Sponsored Links
The best way to move your socket's is get some trunking from your socket that is in use now,run the trunking to were you want your new socket.
That way you dont have to lift floorboards and chiseling any plaster.

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back