Is a 6mm T&E Cable OK For a 9.5kw shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace my 8.5 kw electric shower, and am considering a 9.5 kw one instead.

Will the existing 6 mm twin and earth cable be OK?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
As long as the cable's clipped direct all along its route and not buried anywhere or covered by insulation then that's not the problem.

The only concern might be the breaker (you'll be taking 41.3A max through a 40A MCB) but I'd be surprised if it ever tripped.

As long as the cable's clipped direct all along its route and not buried anywhere or covered by insulation then that's not the problem.

How so? 6mm T+E is rated at 40A, a 9.5kW shower at 230v requires 41.3A, and that's before we apply any factors. In any case, 6mm really isn't practical for modern day showers.

The only concern might be the breaker (you'll be taking 41.3A max through a 40A MCB) but I'd be surprised if it ever tripped.

What makes you think there is a 40A MCB there at present?

what is the total cable length in metres?
is it in contact with insulation (loft insulation etc)?

a 9.5kW shower at 230v requires 41.3A

Not quite - a 9.5kW shower is only a 9.1kW shower when supplied at 230V.

Agreed, if the element is rated at 240v and run on 230v, but it should still be treated as a 9.5kW shower as that is the power consumption stipulated by the manufacturer, and supply voltage is more than likely going to be 240v anyway.

The power rating is usually stated as "9.5kw at 240v" if you actually read the specifications.

6mm^2 is ok if its clipped direct. Not ideal mind, but it will do the job.

Do you know how the cable is routed along its run?

a 9.5kW shower at 230v requires 41.3A
Not quite - a 9.5kW shower is only a 9.1kW shower when supplied at 230V.
Agreed, if the element is rated at 240v and run on 230v, but it should still be treated as a 9.5kW shower as that is the power consumption stipulated by the manufacturer, and supply voltage is more than likely going to be 240v anyway.
Of course the supply voltage will be 240V, and that's why the current drawn will be 40.0A, not 41.3A.

Do you think it's a magical coincidence that showers are rated in such a way as to not exceed the rating of the freely available MCBs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back