In-line RCD for a shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Colleagues,

I have an 8.5kW shower wired with 15m of 6mm T&E - clipped direct and in airy conduit, a 45A DP pull-cord switch and a 40A MCB at the CU. Conventional and in all good order.

I want to install an in-line 30mA RCD outside the bathroom for extra safety ( http://nextday.diy.com/app/jsp/product/productPage.jsp?productId=90026 ). Would this be notifiable? I really can't see why it should be given that it will not in any way adversely affect the existing circuit's safety or ratings.

Sponsored Links
it's an alteration to a circuit in a bathroom. btw, have you got an RCD tester?
No, but I can make one easily enough! Presumably it would need little more than a suitably switched 8k resistor to earth, with a means of measuring the trip time to a resolution of 1ms or thereabouts. I have lab equipment to do this very accurately, but for convenience I would probably knock-up a simple microcontroller based device to make it easier in the future. I probably wouldn't buy one!

Sponsored Links
I want to install an in-line 30mA RCD outside the bathroom for extra safety
Far better to replace the MCB with an RCBO, which will protect all of the cable run, not just the last part.
Sure, and the CU will be replaced at some point; we're just not ready for that right now - an RCBO won't fit in the box. Besides, the chance of someone coming into contact with a live conductor before the shower is zero in this situation, realistically.

How exactly? If the Live from before the RCD went thru a person to earth, the RCD would never see the current flow?

How exactly? If the Live from before the RCD went thru a person to earth, the RCD would never see the current flow?
You're quite right. I had some bad news last night and it looks like I wasn't thinking clearly when I posted that. :oops:

Far better to replace the MCB with an RCBO, which will protect all of the cable run, not just the last part.
Sure, and the CU will be replaced at some point; we're just not ready for that right now - an RCBO won't fit in the box. Besides, the chance of someone coming into contact with a live conductor before the shower is zero in this situation, realistically.

don't fit the in-line RCD just outside the bathroom, fit it next to the CU.

it will then be an easy task when you do get the CU replaced, and you then won't have to worry about that in-line RCD.

don't fit the in-line RCD just outside the bathroom, fit it next to the CU.

it will then be an easy task when you do get the CU replaced, and you then won't have to worry about that in-line RCD.
Good idea.

Thinking about it, why can't an RCD in a small din-mount housing, be fitted outside the bathroom door, serving as a substitute for the pull cord switch inside the bathroom?
As long as the RCD is designed with "Switching duty" in mind, (which of course is the case if it was intended for fitting as a mainswitch to a consumer unit), it can safely double up as a shower isolator, as it will get used regularly, lessening the risk of any sticking of the works, :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Then again...
Then again what?

It is notifiable, no matter how ridiculous you think that is.

Your question was:
Would this be notifiable?
and the answer is yes, it would be - there is absolutely no doubt about that.

I really can't see why it should be given that it will not in any way adversely affect the existing circuit's safety or ratings.
Maybe you can't but your inability to see why it should be does not change the fact that it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back